Wednesday 4 May 2011

In After Effects ...

As I thought the one that I did by hand drawing and using the stop motion technique looked a bit messy and unprofessional, I got Matt (tutor) to show me how I can draw in After Effects and give the illusion the lines is being drawn extremely easily.

First open a new Composition, and name it.
Then import an image, in my case, I imported this image to use as a template:


By double clicking the image, it opens in a new layer... Then using the BRUSH TOOL and 'paint' I just drew directly onto the top of the image, trying to follow the lines.


... Then back on the Composition, into Effects>Paint I changed the 'Paint on Transparent' to ON, so the image disappears and leaves the line that I just drew.


 This is what it looked like without the image behind it. I wanted to try and keep the quality of the line, as that's what's nice about my line drawings, so I used a graphics tablet with pen to draw my lines, as this meant I could keep the same movement as drawing with a normal pen, rather than struggle with a mouse that doesn't have much room to move. This was the first time I have ever used one, slightly hard at first, but practice makes perfect!

Then, if you Ram Preview it, it shows you the line appearing. Like so:


As this was my first attempt, and I just wanted to see what it looked like and if it worked well, I didn't think too much about colours. Green was my standard background colour in After Effects and the red was so it would stand out. I do really like the effect though, I think it looks much better and smoother than my stop motion attempt. Now I just need to play about with it a bit more and see what else I can do!

I decided to just keep drawing out over the same image quite a few times so that I got more comfortable using the pen and tablet, and I gradually got neater! I also changed the colours, to a deep orange and a deep red. These are both colours from my mood boards, and I think they are slightly tribal-like colours.


This one is 15 seconds long, as I increased the drawing speed after I had drawn it. This is half of the time that my final animation needs to be. This has helped give me a much clearer idea of what I'm doing. Also I think the line in this is much better, I need to keep my hand steady and swift while drawing to keep the line.


I thought I should see how it looks with the colours reversed as well, so I drew orange onto deep red. However, I really like the dark red against the orange back ground. The deep red is a bit too dark for the background really. I'm really happy with the colours I have chosen, though I will stick to orange background.

No comments:

Post a Comment