Sunday 3 April 2011

.. DRUMS.

As the DRUMS are the most prominent sound in my track, or at least it's the sound that I hear the most, I would like to focus on drums as a main 'theme' type of thing for my animation.

So first things first, I thought I would look for some photos of some drums to use as reference to draw from..
BUT
Then I thought WAIT! My dad is a drummer.. and has lots of drums!! So I went to take some photos of them!


These are all the drums that my Dad owns .. there is a Djembe, some Bongos, a Cajon, Yak Bera (Sri Lankan), an African drum and the silver one is a Doumbek.


I think the Djembe is my favourite looking drum at the moment, I think it's got a lovely shape, and I am going to try drawing it from different angles and using different techniques.. beginning to think about how I am going to use the drawings in my animation..


I took a lot more photos than this to use as reference, but I don't feel that they ALL need to be displayed here. There will be more to come. I also like this little doumbek, as I like how simplistic it is.


Now the Bongos are another favourite of mine. I especially love the pattern on these ones. I think there is something aesthetically pleasing about the shape of drums, in particular the Bongos, as there is two drums attached to each other.  I am also going to so some continuous line drawings and maybe some blind drawings of this drum as well.

I think I should also focus on the African drum, as my track is very African influenced, so if I involved the lovely African patterns that they paint onto their drums, it would make a clearer African message? Also the lines of the 'string' that they use to tighten the animal skin across the top would look good in a drawing I think.

Like these ones:


 I love this one, with the lion painted on the bottom! It gives it an extremely tribal African feel, maybe I should incorporate this into the drums I use..



The drums above are all in the Djembe family.. as you can tell by the similar shaped bodies.



These bottom two are much more like Bongos, as they have two small drums attached to each other...
I really do love the patterns on them, maybe I could even use the patterns for a background as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment